Finance and Operations Manager
Salary: £38-45k dependent on experience.
Dora Larsen is looking for a highly driven, commercial Finance and Operations Manager. In this newly created role, you’ll be responsible for managing the end to end finance and merchandising operations of the company, as well being responsible for the design and implementation of efficient, scalable business processes as the company grows.
This role will be integral to supporting the growth of the business, providing commercial insight and analysis and implementing best practice, well integrated business processes. You will report directly to the Finance Director and will be responsible for managing both a Financial Accounts Assistant and a Finance and Operations Analyst.
As a start-up business, it is essential that the successful candidate is a dynamic, highly driven and enthusiastic individual. Ideas and creative input are required from every member of the team to ensure the sustained and successful growth of the brand. Your input will be highly visible on a day to day basis and will make a significant contribution to the operations and growth of the business.
The successful candidate must be passionate about working in a start-up environment, which is fast paced, sometimes chaotic and constantly changing. The upside of this environment is the impact the role can make on the business and the greater breadth of skills and experience that will be gained compared to working in a similar level role in a large business.
Dora Larsen is a start-up lingerie brand, founded by Georgia Larsen in 2016. As a former member of the lingerie buying team at Topshop, Georgia spotted a gap in the market for beautiful, comfort driven lingerie in innovative colour combinations and set out to build a brand offering just that. Georgia now runs the brand with husband Jake, who joined the brand full time in 2018. Jake’s background is in finance and is a chartered accountant who trained during his time as an audit and advisory professional at Deloitte, and subsequently gained commercial finance experience at Prudential plc.
- Preparation and review of month-end finance processes, including journals and reconciliations, ensuring completeness and accuracy of financial records;
- Year-end financial reporting process.
- Development and production of robust, commercially relevant, high quality financial information to deliver insight to the company Directors. Making the numbers “talk”.
- Credit control, ensuring timely collection of amounts owed, management of the deposit & pro-forma payments schedule, credit checks and monitoring of outstanding invoices,
- Accounts Payable process, including automation and implementation of processes.
- Preparation and review of all HMRC and Companies’ House submissions.
- Preparation and review of financial planning and forecasting (cash flow, sales plan etc.).
- Management of 2 members of the finance and operations team, being accountable for the quality of the output of work of all members.
- Longer term building and vision of the finance function, with continuous systems and process improvement.
- Ensuring robust stock management and controls.
- Preparation and review of wholesale stock allocation calculation.
- Ongoing monitoring of cover and sell through analysis.
- Preparation and review of direct to consumer stock calculation.
- Reporting on sales and returns trends by product category and size to drive insight for buying strategy.
- Continuous process improvement, identifying innovative business solutions to support and enable the growth and efficiency of the business.
Skills and experience
- 4+ years’ experience.
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA qualified, or similar.
- Exceptional financial planning, organisational and management skills.
- 360 view of the day to day operational needs of a small business with solid expertise in financial planning.
- Fashion or retail industry experience.
- Commercially minded.
- Highly proficient Excel user.
- Excellent communicator, with experience communicating with senior stakeholders.
- Ability to work in an agile manner; adaptable and flexible, and easily able to pivot approach due to unforeseen events or changes to the business horizon (essential for thriving in a start-up business environment).
- Experience managing a team.
- Experience working for a start-up.
- Experience using Xero cloud accounting software, or similar.
- Strong interest in fashion and retail industry.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and covering letter.